Tegucigalpa, Honduras Report of what it's like to live there - 05/14/18
Personal Experiences from Tegucigalpa, Honduras
School Name: Discovery School
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
Started in the 5th grade now about to finish 6th grade moving to 7th next year
3. What was your reason for living in the city where the school is located (e.g., government, military, corporate, NGO, retired)?
4. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
The post has other schools but Discovery school was very international and had a very open-door policy for parents and very welcoming. No bullying and fantastic small classes.
Admissions & Welcome:
1. Are the admissions and placement procedures clearly stated to prospective families, either on the school website or through other means of communication?
Email or via blog also parents in grade have what's app chat
2. How would you rate the school's support and welcome/integration of new students and their families, and why?
Fantastic... My son met his classmates and teachers before he arrived via video chat so they were expecting him when we arrived and that was awesome since we were going for 4 years in Virginia before our move.
Administration & School Procedures:
1. How is the overall communication between teachers and parents, and the administration and parents? How is communication facilitated?
Email and what's app chats and letters sent home. They also have a blog
2. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
No uniforms at Discovery as they celebrate a child's individual choice to wear clothes appropriate for school.
Academics & Resources:
1. What personal or academic counseling resources are available at this school? Is there a dedicated college counselor at the school? Is he/she familiar with universities worldwide?
Yes and the school offers AP courses
2. Is there before and/or after-school daycare available? What are the costs?
Yes and depending what after-school activities you choose. Example: ballet and karate is free but bricks for kids which is Lego building is not that can run about $25 for a month.
3. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
Yes and yes... It's a good size library
4. How are information technology resources at the school. Are they up-to-date? Is there a computer lab?
5. What are the technology requirements for students? Do they need their own laptops/ipads? How is technology integrated into the classroom and homework?
Depending on the grade; there is also a computer and technology room.
6. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
They have a basketball court and a soccer field for smaller children and playground.
7. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
In the 5th grade it was 11 children per class with a total of 23 for 5th grade for 2 classrooms.
8. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
Yes and if a student is a gifted child, s/he will be placed in a higher grade for some classes during the school day.
9. Are students generally challenged appropriately by the curriculum? Please describe any particular strengths or weaknesses in this area. Do you have any thoughts how the curriculum is applied and implemented at this school?
10. Is the amount and type of homework generally appropriate for the age and grade of the students?
Yes... Unlike some other schools here where children are doing homework for hours.
11. What fine arts electives are available (music, drama, visual arts)?
Music yes - jazz band and choir in Discovery has won many awards
12. Are the teachers at the school required to speak English as a first language--or at least fluently?
Yes and they also have Spanish classes. If you are a beginner, they have a special class for those learning.
13. What services are available for gifted/advanced students at the school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
From what I have seen, if a child is ahead of the class on that particular class, s/he will send the student to the next grade level for that class. This was the case for one of my son's classmates last year.
14. What services are available for students with learning disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
We do have a special needs child in the 2nd grade and she is doing very well at the school.
15. What services are available for students with physical disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
16. What services are provided for speakers of English as a second language at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
They have ESOL classes
Social & Emotional Well-Being:
1. Do expatriate students socialize with local students at the school? Are both groups successfully integrated into the school culture?
Yes and very close friendships
2. Are there are any problems with exclusionary behavior, cliques, or bullying at this school? Please describe any problems your children may have experienced in this area.
None... The Discovery school is a very inclusive school
1. What letter grade (ranging from A, excellent, to F, fail) would you assign to this school based on your overall experience? Would you choose it again?
2. Please tell us anything else you think prospective parents and students should know about this school. Thanks for your contribution!
It's a small school with a huge heart. The school prides itself to being a very inclusive school were all is welcome regardless if you know English or Spanish. This school is more international than any other school here. Parents go out together and get to know one another. I have met a lot of wonderful families outside our embassy circle with whom we will stay friends beyond being posted here.