Yaounde, Cameroon Report of what it's like to live there - 02/10/23
Personal Experiences from Yaounde, Cameroon
Yaounde, Cameroon 02/10/23
American School of Yaounde
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
Grade 3 to Grade 7
3. What years did you live here?
4. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
This school is in English and has the IB program
Administration & School Procedures:
1. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
There are no uniforms. Students in Grades 6 and upwards are expected to have a laptop. All stationary materials are provided. If your child is picked to represent the school team, you will have extra expenses for travel and hotels.
Academics & Resources:
1. What personal or academic counseling resources are available at this school? Is there a dedicated college counselor at the school? Is he/she familiar with universities worldwide?
There is a dedicated college counsellor who is familiar with universities around the world.
2. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
The library is large with over 10,000 publications.
3. What are the technology requirements for students? Do they need their own laptops/ipads? How is technology integrated into the classroom and homework?
Students in Grade 6 to 12 require their own laptop.
4. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
The school has a swimming pool, a sports court (Basketball), two tennis courts and an astroturf football field. There is an Elementary playground.
5. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
Classes are small. Approximately between 10-15 students per class.
6. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
There is a PYP, MYP and DP.