Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Report of what it's like to live there
Personal Experiences from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
Parent of children
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
Prep Reception - Prep Junior
3. What years did you live here?
4. What was your reason for living in the city where the school is located (e.g., government, military, corporate, NGO, retired)?
5. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
Yes there are other schools. Choice because of proximity and reputation.
Admissions & Welcome:
1. How would you rate the school's support and welcome/integration of new students and their families, and why?
Professional and very welcoming
Administration & School Procedures:
1. How is the overall communication between teachers and parents, and the administration and parents? How is communication facilitated?
Very good. There is a (very active) PTA that sends out a newsletter weekly. The school also sends a Panther News weekly. There are class parents and app groups. Communication is with teachers through Storypark (prep-rec/prep jun), Seesaw (prep rec). For many offices there is an open door policy and the attitude throughout the school is positive.
2. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
Uniforms are affordable. From Prep Senior there are a variety of After School Activities that are reasonably priced.
Academics & Resources:
1. What personal or academic counseling resources are available at this school? Is there a dedicated college counselor at the school? Is he/she familiar with universities worldwide?
Experience from early childhood is very positive. There are various counsellors that structurally come to class. There are various resources for special needs children as well.
2. Is there before and/or after-school daycare available? What are the costs?
3. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
Yes, yes, yes! There is a separate library for elementary school with a large and high quality selection. There are weekly trips to the library organized by the class, but students can drop in any time after school hours to borrow books. The librarians are engaged and it's a very pleasant space.
4. What are the technology requirements for students? Do they need their own laptops/ipads? How is technology integrated into the classroom and homework?
I-Pad provided in prep senior only to document learning. Now with online learning prep reception and prep senior have an I-Pad
5. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
Full equipped gyms (including climbing wall), two pools, track field, etc.
6. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
In class 1/6 and with all the specialists that number goes down.
7. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
8. Are students generally challenged appropriately by the curriculum? Please describe any particular strengths or weaknesses in this area. Do you have any thoughts how the curriculum is applied and implemented at this school?
Yes, children are encouraged to learn at their level. In Prep Reception and Junior
9. Is the amount and type of homework generally appropriate for the age and grade of the students?
10. What fine arts electives are available (music, drama, visual arts)?
Music and visual arts with professional teachers
11. Are the teachers at the school required to speak English as a first language--or at least fluently?
12. What services are available for students with learning disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
Don't have personal experience but know from parents these are available
13. What extra-curricular activities (including sports) are available at this school? Have your children participated in these activities? What activities do you feel are missing at the school?
So many after school activities available you almost would get instant FOMO. Examples: wide variety of sports including soccer, rock climbing martial arts, music, arts etc.
Social & Emotional Well-Being:
1. What is the climate for children with special needs? Is there a general attitude of inclusion for children with special needs?
There is a general attitude of inclusion.
2. Do expatriate students socialize with local students at the school? Are both groups successfully integrated into the school culture?
Yes, but it's mostly expats
3. Are there are any problems with exclusionary behavior, cliques, or bullying at this school? Please describe any problems your children may have experienced in this area.
Not that we are aware of. We feel this is a very friendly place and that this friendly atmosphere is actively supported by all staff. The mantra of elementary that is successfully followed is the Melawati Way: take care of yourself, take of others and take care of this place.
1. What letter grade (ranging from A, excellent, to F, fail) would you assign to this school based on your overall experience? Would you choose it again?
A+ and yes we would choose it again. In terms of early childhood development it is hard to think of a better place
2. Please describe some of your child's/children's highlights and challenges during their time at this school.
Every day was a highlight
3. Please tell us anything else you think prospective parents and students should know about this school. Thanks for your contribution!
While the school looks big - almost like a university campus- the early childhood classes are located such that there is a small school feel.