Vienna, Austria Report of what it's like to live there - 01/27/19
Personal Experiences from Vienna, Austria
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
3. What was your reason for living in the city where the school is located (e.g., government, military, corporate, NGO, retired)?
4. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
Yes other school are availble but this school had the most international feeling.
Admissions & Welcome:
1. Are the admissions and placement procedures clearly stated to prospective families, either on the school website or through other means of communication?
Apply early. It is a rolling admissions. UN Children get priority but if you have a good application then your children have a chance
2. How would you rate the school's support and welcome/integration of new students and their families, and why?
Terrific. They have a buddy system that pairs you up with kids in the same grades. Everyone is very welcoming especially members of the PTA.
Administration & School Procedures:
1. How is the overall communication between teachers and parents, and the administration and parents? How is communication facilitated?
Good. Newsletter once a week to the community which covers all aspects of school from primary to upper school to sports and events.
2. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
Laptop program . Must provide your own laptop (Apple preferred)
Academics & Resources:
1. What personal or academic counseling resources are available at this school? Is there a dedicated college counselor at the school? Is he/she familiar with universities worldwide?
College counselor is great and very well versed.
2. Is there before and/or after-school daycare available? What are the costs?
3. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
Yes nice library for primary and secondary
4. What are the technology requirements for students? Do they need their own laptops/ipads? How is technology integrated into the classroom and homework?
Laptops needed. Technology is integrated in classrooms. No cell phone policy implemented in the school.
5. How are information technology resources at the school. Are they up-to-date? Is there a computer lab?
6. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
PE is required. Nice gym but no swimming pool
7. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
8. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
IB school. Full diploma
Is not required. You can graduate with a regular high school diploma and IB courses.
9. Are students generally challenged appropriately by the curriculum? Please describe any particular strengths or weaknesses in this area. Do you have any thoughts how the curriculum is applied and implemented at this school?
IB curriculum. Teach students how to think manipulate, collaborate, explain and produce through independent thinking as well as group work.
10. Is the amount and type of homework generally appropriate for the age and grade of the students?
11. What fine arts electives are available (music, drama, visual arts)?
Drama, visual arts, product design, food design, digital technology, film
12. Are the teachers at the school required to speak English as a first language--or at least fluently?
13. What services are available for gifted/advanced students at the school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
14. What services are available for students with learning disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
15. What services are available for students with physical disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
16. What services are provided for speakers of English as a second language at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
Mother tongue language program. Excellent
17. What extra-curricular activities (including sports) are available at this school? Have your children participated in these activities? What activities do you feel are missing at the school?
Basketball, soccer(football) skiing, tennis, badmitton, table tennis
Social & Emotional Well-Being:
1. What is the climate for children with special needs? Is there a general attitude of inclusion for children with special needs?
2. What is the climate for LGBT+ kids at this school? Are there resources they can draw upon? Does there appear to be any exclusionary behavior?
3. Do expatriate students socialize with local students at the school? Are both groups successfully integrated into the school culture?
Yes very much so . Diverse and very friendly
4. Are there are any problems with exclusionary behavior, cliques, or bullying at this school? Please describe any problems your children may have experienced in this area.
1. Please describe some of your child's/children's highlights and challenges during their time at this school.
Open welcoming community
2. What letter grade (ranging from A, excellent, to F, fail) would you assign to this school based on your overall experience? Would you choose it again?
3. Please tell us anything else you think prospective parents and students should know about this school. Thanks for your contribution!
Couldn’t be more pleased with our decision. If you want a true international experience is a world class international city, this is the place.