Vienna, Austria Report of what it's like to live there - 10/17/18
Personal Experiences from Vienna, Austria
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
3rd grade to 8th grade and 6th grade to 11th grade
3. What was your reason for living in the city where the school is located (e.g., government, military, corporate, NGO, retired)?
4. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
Other schools are available that are excellent.
This school had no waiting list and a beautiful campus but sadly, we found the academics to be poor and the school atmosphere suffering.
Admissions & Welcome:
1. Are the admissions and placement procedures clearly stated to prospective families, either on the school website or through other means of communication?
2. How would you rate the school's support and welcome/integration of new students and their families, and why?
The parents take care of the welcoming committee events and do a great job.
Administration & School Procedures:
1. How is the overall communication between teachers and parents, and the administration and parents? How is communication facilitated?
Terrible. We experienced a low level of transparency, candor and integrity.
2. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
Yes. All travel for all sports events and competitions; field trips and other events not in Vienna. Costs vary depending on the event but easily â‚¬5000 per kid
Academics & Resources:
1. What personal or academic counseling resources are available at this school? Is there a dedicated college counselor at the school? Is he/she familiar with universities worldwide?
We did not find the counsellors to be helpful.
2. Is there before and/or after-school daycare available? What are the costs?
It varies. Mostly reasonable prices for Vienna
3. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
4. How are information technology resources at the school. Are they up-to-date? Is there a computer lab?
They are basic
5. What are the technology requirements for students? Do they need their own laptops/ipads? How is technology integrated into the classroom and homework?
Laptops and ipads depending on the grade
6. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
playing fields, gym, bubble tennis - richly endowed with sports facilities
7. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
15 kids to 1 teacher but most classes have 21 kids
8. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
IB and fulll dipoloma available. We were made aware of some cheating.
9. Are students generally challenged appropriately by the curriculum? Please describe any particular strengths or weaknesses in this area. Do you have any thoughts how the curriculum is applied and implemented at this school?
10. Is the amount and type of homework generally appropriate for the age and grade of the students?
11. What fine arts electives are available (music, drama, visual arts)?
All. Music is especially fabulous.
12. Are the teachers at the school required to speak English as a first language--or at least fluently?
13. What services are available for gifted/advanced students at the school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
14. What services are available for students with learning disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
We found these services to be lacking.
15. What services are available for students with physical disabilities at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
16. What services are provided for speakers of English as a second language at this school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
EAL- generally well managed
17. What extra-curricular activities (including sports) are available at this school? Have your children participated in these activities? What activities do you feel are missing at the school?
Vast choice of extra curricula activities but other than sports, these do not seem to be well run.
Social & Emotional Well-Being:
1. Do expatriate students socialize with local students at the school? Are both groups successfully integrated into the school culture?
2. Are there are any problems with exclusionary behavior, cliques, or bullying at this school? Please describe any problems your children may have experienced in this area.
1. What letter grade (ranging from A, excellent, to F, fail) would you assign to this school based on your overall experience? Would you choose it again?
2. Please tell us anything else you think prospective parents and students should know about this school. Thanks for your contribution!
Consider other options before enrolling here.