Subscribe to SmallPlanet

We Need Your Help

Five stars on Amazon! Don't miss Talesmag's first book of essays, on cross-cultural food experiences from Mexico to Mongolia (plus recipes!)
Submit a Real Post Report


What types of jobs do most expatriate spouses/partners have? Locally based or telecommuting? Full-time or part-time? Can you comment on local salary scales?

It is not easy to work on the local market if you are here on a diplomatic passport. - Oct 24, 2017
Maybe? You'd be working illegally in all likelihood—I don't know anybody with a job on the local economy who isn't here on a tourist visa. Occasionally there are crackdowns. - Dec 3, 2015
I don't think so. However, there are many job postings at the U.S. Embassy for EFM's. - Aug 17, 2014
There is no bilateral work agreement between the Chinese government and the US. That means, you cannot work on the economy even if there are jobs available. The embassy does hire a lot of EFMs though and I think that if you want to work, you probably can. Just perhaps not in the capacity you would in another place. - Jul 18, 2014
Haven't explored it - Jun 19, 2013
No. - Aug 27, 2011
There are lots of jobs, but at local pay. Ever thought of being a model? You could be one here, and see your picture on the front of thousands of boxes of some product exported all over the world. Chinese companies always have a need for someone to provide English customer service. Or maybe you just want to wear a nice suit and go to a formal dinner where you have no idea what's going on, but you smile and nod and shake hands and enjoy the very high-end cuisine, and get paid for showing up (some companies just need to have a white guy somewhere for whatever reason). Have a nice voice? Why not try making voice-overs? And of course you can teach English, anything from teaching adorable first graders how to say their names to helping Chinese businessmen improve their conversational English. Now let's talk about the pay. The average salary in Beijing is $600 per month. If you aren't working for a multinational company or an embassy, the most you can hope to pull in is about $2,000 per month. - Jan 18, 2011
No. Some people find work as substitute teachers, but most spouses don't even bother to look. There are usually a few good jobs to be had at the embassy - WAE, professional associates and others. - Apr 29, 2010
Not really. You need a full Z visa to work legally here and the employer gets that for you. Foreigners are guest workers and not expected to stay here. There are age restrictions also for people over 60. - Jan 26, 2010